You’re Stuck. That’s why you’re mad. That’s why you hate mondays, that’s why you’re snappy, that’s why you can’t see any of the good. You can’t see a way out and you think you might die at that desk/in that stockroom/behind that counter/<insert job location here>.
19 firefighters died for the greater good, saving lives on Monday and I thought, if I died at work, would I be doing what I loved? Sadly no. It’s fun sometimes but I don’t think that I was born to do this. You probably feel the same way.
So how to get unstuck? Slowly chip away at the cement.
- Admit you’re stuck, but admit it without prejudice or self-loathing.
- Realise that you CAN get unstuck.
- Figure out where you want to go, who you want to be, etc. you’re never too old, even when you think you are.
- Have a plan. e.g. maybe you wanted to play basketball but now your knees have gone out from age, so be a coach instead. just do whatever it takes to get close to what you wanted.
- Know that getting unstuck does not have to mean a complete life change. You don’t have to pack up the house, pull the kids out of school and move to the middle east to do meaningful work. Getting unstuck can be as simple as going to a swimming class after work to overcome a fear of water. Sometimes auxillary things can give your work meaning and they can lead you to where you really want to be.
It’s a process but a beautiful one. Start chipping at the cement right now. Get unstuck, get happy.